2019 was the International Day for Biological Diversity. Theme : Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health.
The Hon. Commissioner for Environment in Anambra State, Arc Michael M. Okonkwo was among the lead speakers on the Commomeration of this year’s International Biodiversity Day held at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
The Commissioner Spoke on the topic : CLIMATE CHANGE AND ENVIRONMENT.
we are facing the biggest environmental challenges our species has ever seen.
Climate change is wrecking havoc on our wildlifes and habitats, while putting more and more people’s lives and homes at risk.
Because of the activities of man since the industrial revolution ,there is increased amount of carbon dioxide emissions which are higher than the amount that can be captured by the earth’s natural carbon cycle.
However studies have shown that developing countries like Nigeria did not contribute to the present condition of the climate, but the effect is suffered mostly by them due to inadequate resilient structure that can withstand extreme atmospheric conditions.
For this reason, OUR ROLES ARE:
– Enlighten others on the need for a cleaner environment.
– Reduce deforestation /encourage tree planting .
– Maintain energy efficiency and learn conservative behavior to reduce the quantity of fossil use in generating electricity.
– Advocate for a cleaner electricity generation technology.
– Our world is under threat like never before, we are the first generation to know we are destroying our world but we could be the last that can do anything about it.
The Commissioner was also honoured with a commendation plaque for his contributions in advocating for a cleaner and healthy environment.
Congratulations Arc. Okonkwo.
The I-WITNESS CREW celebrates with you.