Gentlemen of the Press, it’s my pleasure to welcome you once again to this press briefing in order to keep you abreast with cases of interest to members of the Public which the Command has recorded some achievements during the week under review.
2. You may recalled that during my maiden Press Conference on the 11/7/2019 I made it very clear that the Command will redouble its efforts to stem the tide of crime and other security challenges in the State in line with the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu NPM, mni initiative code named “Operations Puff Adder” which the Command had launched since April, 2019.
3. The strategies put in place have started yielding positive results as follows:
i. ARREST OF ONE CHANCE ROBBERY SYNDICATE AT UPPER IWEKA AND RECOVERY OF SNATCHED ITEMS /OFFENSIVE WEAPON:
On the 14/07/2019 at about 8:00am, Puff Adder operatives deployed to Upper-Iweka in conjunction with Patrol team attached to Okpoko Division arrested one Sunday Igwe ‘m’ aged 28years of Obibiezina in Owerri, Imo State and one Ede Chigbo ‘m’ aged 35 years of Ozara in Nkanu East LGA of Enugu State respectively. Suspects attacked, stabbed and robbed one Ubasineke Chinonye ‘f’ student of Federal Polytechnic, Nekede, Imo State at Upper-Iweka in Onitsha. Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one ladies hand bag, Techno k7 and knife used in stabbing the victim. Meanwhile, victim was rushed to the hospital for medical attention and case is under investigation after which suspects would be charged to Court for prosecution.
ii. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECTS AND RECOVERY OF ARM/AMMUNITION: On the 16/07/2019 at about 12:06am, there was a distress call that armed robbers in a Shuttle Bus have stormed the premises of Down Town Hotel Mbaukwu and were about to rob lodgers there in. Following the distress, Police patrol teams attached to “Operation Puff Adder” in conjunction with operatives attached to Central Police Station, Awka rushed to the scene and arrested the following suspects:
1. John Eke ‘m’ aged 35 years
2. Izuchukwu Enwelum ‘m’ aged 32 years
3. Muodilum Anthony ‘m’ aged 40 years and
4. Umadi Emmanuel Obinna ‘m’ aged 36 years respectively.
Exhibits recovered from the suspects includes:
1. One fabricated revolver pistol
2. One live ammunition
3. Weeds suspected to be cannabis sativa
4. Unmarked Shuttle Bus used by the suspects
5. Cash sum of sixty thousand Naira (N60,000.00)
6. Four (4) handsets, ATM Card, charms and other incriminating items.
Case under investigation after which suspects would be charged to Court for prosecution
iii. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECTS AND RECOVERY OF ARM/ AMMUNITION: On the 13/07/2019 at about 5:30pm, following intelligence report, Police detectives attached to Central Police Station (CPS), Awka arrested one Chukwudi Okeke ‘m’ aged 20 years of Umuarama village and Faith Esomchi ‘m’ aged 19 years of Umudioka village, Awka respectively. The suspects had on the 04/03/2019 at about 8:25pm, shot and snatched a tricycle from one Nwadoanwe Ndukwe ‘m’ of Umuakwali village, Awka at Amaku General Hospital, Awka gate. Meanwhile case was transferred to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) who equally arrested the receiver one, Okechukwu Idoko ‘m’ aged 30yrs of Umudioka, Awka and recovered the snatched Keke Tricycles. Other Exhibits recovered from the suspects includes:
1. One (1) fabricated double barrel pistol
2. One (1) Toy gun and Six live cartridges.
Case under investigation after which the suspects would be charged to Court for prosecution.
iv. ARREST OF SUSPECTED CULTISTS AND RECOVERY OF OFFENSIVE WEAPONS:
Police operatives attached to the Command “Operations Puff Adder” in conjunction with Special Anti-Cultism Unit (SPACS) arrested at various locations within the State between 31/06/2019 to date, ninety (90) suspected cultists in continuation of its raids on their hideouts and black-spots. From all the raids carried out, a total number of 90 suspects have been arrested. Twenty-eight (28) were screened out, twenty-eight (28) suspects were charged to court. Twelve (12) suspects were placed under Police supervision for being under aged while twenty-two (22) others are undergoing investigation. Meanwhile, exhibits recovered from the suspects includes five (5) machetes, four (4) axes, two (2) daggers, four (4) berets, one (1) Laptop Computer, four (4) improvised bunkers and some quantities of weeds suspected to be cannabis sativa.
v. Consequently, on the 08/7/2019 at about 11:pm, following intelligence report, Police detectives attached to Ogidi Division in conjunction with vigilante group arrested at Nkwelle Ogidi, one Praise Okolie Tochukwu ‘m’ of the same address. Suspect conspired with his accomplices now at large and snatched at gunpoint a Toyota Spider Car with registration number FJK 54 CC from one Okpalaezekoli Ifeanyi ‘m’ of Omagba Phase 1, Onitsha around 7:00pm same date. Suspect confessed to the crime and the vehicle was recovered in his possession and registered as exhibit. Suspects charged to court and remanded in prison custody.
vi. Similarly, on the 09/7/2019 at about 9:30am, Police detectives attached to Ogidi Division arrested one Nwali Chibuzor ‘m’ of Eke Nkpor in Idemili North LGA of Anambra State. Suspect had on the 01/07/2019 at about 7:08pm, allegedly snatched a tricycle from one Uche John within Nkpor area. The tricycle was recovered from the suspect along Idemili Bus Stop, Nkpor and the plate number was changed from Anambra HAL 776 WQ to Enugu NSK 177 QW. Case under investigation after which suspect would be charged to Court for prosecution.
4. I want to reiterate my assurance to all Ndi Anambra both at home and in Diaspora that the Command under my watch will continue to work assiduously to ensure that Anambra State remains the safest in the country. It is also pertinent to emphasize here that, the safety and security of lives and property in the State will not be possible without the cooperation of the State Government and other well meaning members of the public who continue to provide the Command with useful information about criminals and their hideouts.
5. Finally, I encourage well meaning members of the public resident in Anambra State to report any suspicious person(s) or movement(s) to the nearest Police Station or through the Command’s emergency number – 07039194332 for prompt action, please.
Thank you and God bless you all
CP JOHN B. ABANG fdc
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
ANAMBRA STATE POLICE COMMAND,